Friday, February 06, 2009

The Official BSG Spoiler Thread, Final Episode #4

Back by popular demand, I give you this week's BSG Spoiler Thread.

If you want to discuss the fourth episode of the Final Episodes of Battlestar Galactica, please feel free to do so here.

This is a spoiler-filled thread.

You have been warned. Do not click on the comments, if you do not want to be spoiled. I will put my thoughts in the comments.


Jenny Rappaport said...

Yay! No more Zarek! No more Gaeta!

I don't understand what the significance of the remembered Baltar/Gaeta scene right before the execution meant--I haven't watched the webisodes, so that may have to do with it. If someone could clarify it for me, I would be very happy. Weird that Gaeta's leg stopped itching right before death though.

I liked this episode too, although it really was a continuation of last week's, and might have worked better with back-to-back viewing. I think Anders is gonna bite the dust; I don't see how Kara can save him at all, especially since he's bleeding out.

Then again, Romo was back! I love Romo! He's such loveable scum! =)

I was very annoyed that Zarek shot the quorum, especially when they had just started to stand up to him. But I guess that's what you get in the middle of a coup.

Scary pissed-off Roslin was awesome aboard the baseship. Watching Adama really, really come into his own and take back Galactica was also awesome. Overall, I'm very pleased with how the show is wrapping things up.

And what the heck is up with those gashes on the wall of the engine room? Obviously not supposed to be there, but the last people to be there were presumably the Cylons upgrading the FTL drives with their tech. So very weird... unless BSG has merged with Jurassic Park, and those gashes are from velociraptors.

acpaul said...

I agree about Anders. It looked like he was posturing, and that's not a good sign, neuro-wise. But then preview showed Ellen coming back, so Anders might re-incarnate.

P. Bradley Robb said...

I'm mad that, for the first time in the series, I really have no clear picture what the end state is going to be.

When the show was headed towards the abstract concept of Earth, I found it easier to relate to the characters and had a vested interest in seeing how the show reflected our society through the filter of the BSG universe.

However, I was glad to see that Gaeta and Zarek were dealt with. Even more glad that seconds before his death, Gaeta found the peace that he never quite knew since the early days of the show.

Felix was a troubled man, an idealist stuck within the confines of the military - a mechanism that can grind down even the strongest will.

It was this sense of idealism that ended up separating Gaeta from Zarek. The two were treated as equals before the firing squad, but Gaeta knew what he did was wrong, that they had crossed the line, and he found some solace in repenting. That is something Zarek never managed to do.

I believe that's what he was trying to relay to Baltar.

Cathy in AK said...

RE: Roslin. All I could think was man, they picked the wrong woman to piss off. You guys are going down some way, some how.

I knew Zarek was going to have the quorum killed as soon as they asked him to leave because they were going to stand up to him. No way he could have that. At least Gaeta looked a little upset about it.

But Gaeta ordering Adama's execution then not having the balls to attend? The coward. I could almost--almost--understand his reasons for mutiny, but have the guts to take responsibility for ALL the orders you give. Notice Adama was there for his and Zarek's execution.

Thacher said...

I think the Baltar/Gaeta scene was there because the both of them have this weird, entangled history, first as just science nerds and then to working together on New Caprica. Now that Gaeta is about to die, , I think he knew that the only person who could understand where he's at and why he did what he did was Baltar, a man who had also been accused of betrayal. I wonder too if they are going to use that scene and Gaeta's death as a way to move Baltar back into the spotlight more as a force to be reckoned with. His complaining about the fact that he ran again made me think that now he's going to start standing up for himself again.

Overall, the show is still consistently fantastic. I wonder if those cracks mean that Galactica has finally gotten to the point where the structural damage is too much to bear. Will the show end with just the ships death and the fleet still moving on? Adama commanding from a Basestar, or Colonial One?

Amie Stuart said...

Jenny....I'm with you on the gashes on the wall of the engine room! Very strange and not good.

I definitely think Gaeta had "buyers" remorse after the killing of the quorum. Zarek wasn't a man anyone should have gotten in bed with.

Still pondering Ellen's return with no resurection ship and wondering what that means for Anders :( Would hate to see him go. I still think ALL 5 of the 5 are important and I think it's cool that a cylon (Tyrol) saved the day!

Crimogenic said...

"Yay! No more Zarek! No more Gaeta!"

Thanks goodness to, they were the most annoying characters on the show.

I still think Ellen's being the final cylon is a cop out. But it should be interesting to see her back next week. You know after her husband killed her and now is in a relationship with another cylon, it should be very very interesting.

Lisa said...

I read this blog all the time, but this is my first comment.

When the show was headed towards the abstract concept of Earth, I found it easier to relate to the characters and had a vested interest in seeing how the show reflected our society through the filter of the BSG universe.

I'm not convinced the cinder planet is Earth. Ron Moore has been consistently saying that this planet was the 13th Colony, they were all Cylons, and they called it Earth. In the original series, they found Terra Prime, which looked a lot like Earth, but wasn't Earth. So, I think they'll go on to find another habitable planet and this will be the Promised Land mentioned in the Pythian Prophecy.

The previews for next week show Anders talking, saying that he knows everything now. He may know everything if he's about to kick the bucket, who knows, but if Ellen can regenerate then so can Anders.