Saturday, March 14, 2009

The Official BSG Spoiler Thread, Final Episode #9

This is a post to discuss the penultimate episode of Battlestar Galactica. Next week's episode will be TWO HOURS long, so please remember to check your DVR accordingly. We will be kicking ours into making it work right (our cable company has crappy DVR software).

And the usual disclaimer:

If you want to discuss the ninth episode of the Final Episodes of Battlestar Galactica, please feel free to do so here.

This is a spoiler-filled thread.

You have been warned. Do not click on the comments, if you do not want to be spoiled. I will put my thoughts in the comments. I have lots of thoughts this week.


Jenny Rae Rappaport said...

Ok, wow.

I really actually liked the flashbacks, which was such a wonderfully neat way of showing the characters--how life had been and how life was now. I've never seen the original miniseries (mea culpa), so it was quite interesting to see how Caprica was before the apocalypse and devastation of the human race. I will admit that I was just the slightest bit annoyed when I realized they took up about half of what should have been a spoiler-filled, action-packed episode... but then I realized at the end that the series finale is actually two hours long.

So I'm just viewing this as the first third of a three hour (w/commercials) movie I get to watch.

I love how my original suspicion that the song means something is true, and people, I'm still telling you--it's a freaking star map. Translate into astronomical terms! Music=notes=numbers=stars. I like how Kara is trying, at least, and how Anders is now the Galactica's hybrid.

And let's talk a little bit about Hera, who is obviously still very pivotal to the plot. She's just been writing the music over and over and over on Cavil's baseship, which just sort of proves my point for me.

And now we're going to go rescue her! I have faith in this show; utter faith that despite the slow character introspection of the past few episodes, it will give us a two hour finale next week that will take our breath away. The exposition was entirely set up in this episode, and I would think the flashbacks may have a role to play next week too, at least a little bit. They wouldn't have given them so much time, just as character studies... Ron Moore is smarter than that, right?

I am very much looking forward to next week, which is also my birthday. Me, my dog, my parents, and Chris + birthday cake + BSG. I think it's a good way to turn 28. =)

One final thought: How devastating was it that Athena thinks Hera is dead, and she was the one who put the picture on the wall? That hit me in the gut.

MJFredrick said...

Is anyone else wondering if the drunk driver who killed Roslin's family is someone she knows?

I'm VERY excited about next week, th???

David said...

Perhaps I'm misremembering, but didn't we learn in a previous season that Kara spent a lot of her childhood with the two Adama boys - sort of as their kid sister? If so, then the flashback scene were Lee first met her doesn't make sense.

Or perhaps I manufactured that background unconsciously.

Jarucia said...

Jenny and all, I am ye of little faith.

I've been tearing my hair out these last couple episodes.

I feel like I'm watching Days of Our Lives during any week other than sweeps the time Marlena was possessed by a demon...but I digress.

After this last episode I plan on being completely STUNNED and SATISFIED next week.

I was wholly disappointed with the flashbacks. They half seemed to show how these folks sort of ended up on Galactica and half showed what they were like before extreme circumstances.

Yeah, we did know about Kara's history with the Adama boys. That was touched on in season one.

Interesting theory about the drunk driver. Given what we've seen IF it's someone Rosalin knows it would have to be Adama himself because he's a total booze hound OR Lee because we saw him raging stupid drunk in the flashbacks and that made NO sense at all to any of the story as far as I could tell.

I really, REALLY hope they don't leave this hanging WIDE open for all those other productions (movie, prequel mini series, whatever) I've been hearing about.

Oh, I totally agree about the music being a star map. We'll see what's in store on that front.

Again, I've wasted perfectly good space ranting, but it's only because my love for the show has taken such a hit.

Keeping my fingers crossed for next week.

Melissa said...

Bill doesn't think the song is going to amount to anything ... I disagree, but I'm not sure what the plan is yet.

Jenny: what cable do you have, because our DVR has issues too, and I just got some money back for it.

BTW - for all interested parties, my husband's blog is doing Battlestar week next week with reviews, posts, and a podcast next weekend on it. Check them out

Jenny Rae Rappaport said...

Melissa, we have Cablevision with their Optimum Online service, etc. And IO and whatever else they call it. It has, literally, the crappiest DVR software I have ever seen.

sam said...

I think it's quite clear too that the notes to "All Along the Watchtower" are a map to a planet. The scene with Kara and Sam made that point pretty clear.

I personally think that planet will be the earth we know (my long theory on how it'll end), but who knows.

MJFredrick said...

I was thinking the drunk driver was Lee, but they did say the driver was in the hospital, so probably Adama. Or maybe Tigh?

Anyway, obsessing over a plot point that might not even mean anything.

It looks like, according to my Tivo, that there will be two episodes on Friday, one one hour and one two hour. So....double check your recording device!

Joseph Lewis said...

I was disappointed with the flashbacks because the whole message seems to be, "Life may be awful now, but it was pretty darn bad back then too." BSG has become such a pity parade. Where are my heroes?!

Jarucia said...

BTW, and this is no joke, found the following email header in my junk mail this morning:


I guess we know what Adama moved on to after BSG.


Dawn said...

According to my TV listings, Sci-Fi is showing a marathon of BSG all day Friday, March 20, right up until the two-hour series finale at 9 p.m. EST.

Also there is a behind-the-scenes special tonight on Sci-Fi about the show. I think it airs at 10 EST ... in my neck of the woods anyway. It's called The Last Frakkin special or some such.

Have fun!

MJFredrick said...

What's confusing me is that the finale is called Daybreak or something, right? There's one called Daybreak at 7 PM CST that's an hour and another also called Daybreak at 8 PM CST that's two hours.

I'm just going to record them all, since the dh won't be home to see anyway.

miscblogger said...

If Starbuck can jump to earth in a old broken down Viper and return in a new fresh Viper, why not have BSG jump to earth and return fresh and new? This also could "heal/fix" those who are not well, Sam, Roslin, etc.

Natalie Hatch said...

Okay so here's my take on the whole thing. The Cylons were the 13th tribe and left eons ago. Kara's father was Daniel the Cylon, so she herself is a half breed like Hera. Though for Hera's angel status Kara gets shafted as the angel/harbringer of death. Adama and the crew save Hera but then like a good Dynasty/Dallas soapy they all get blown up?
I agree with Jenny that Hera's notes are a star map to a new world, but what would be there? Is that why the colony is so close to a singularity - the only way to the new world?
Here in Australia we don't get BSG at the moment so I have to contend myself by watching it online.
My question to everyone is after it's over then what? How will we fill our time? Whedon's Dollhouse isn't going great guns, there's a gap that needs to be filled.

P. Bradley Robb said...

Perhaps I've been too conditioned by Lost, but I didn't like the flashbacks. We're four seasons in, I don't really think this is an appropriate time to really try and establish backstory. In Lost, at least the flashbacks are used for dramatic effect.

I did really like how Adama was shown to have lost most of his political capital when he asked people to join him on the mission to save Hera. I liked how emotionally raw a lot of the characters were regarding this decision.

Like everyone else, I'm personally really looking forward to this Friday, if only for a sense of closure. I too am wondering about two things 1) What is only going to take an hour out of Adama's day? And 2) who killed Rosyln's family? I have a sneaking suspicion that the driver was, in fact, Adama. Perhaps because he was in a state of total grief regarding Zack's death. This would also explain why he was assigned to Galactica, which wasn't exactly the most shining star in the Colonial fleet – punishment for vehicular homicide. Just a hunch there.

Dawn said...

My BIL listened to a podcast where the creator of the show said there is no connection between Starbuck and Daniel. Don't expect some big revelations on that one. Daniel was just written in to correct a Cylon numbering issue.
Also, they're showing Daybreak from last week and then continuing with the two-hour series finale at 9 p.m. EST