Sunday, March 29, 2009

Reasons to love this job

When I can't sleep because my back is aching (happens to all of us), I pull out my Kindle. And I start going down the manuscripts that I've got on there, looking for something to distract me.

I don't want to read a client manuscript because I have to be coherent to make comments on it. I've got a full and a partial for clients that are waiting revision letters, which are at the top of my to-do list on Monday. So I don't want to read one of those, because I know myself and I'm going to get out of bed and start working on those letters.

Instead, I pick a random manuscript from the bunch I've got loaded on my Kindle. It came via a friend of a friend of a friend. I never would have read it, except that my assistant happened to be one of those people in the chain of friends, and said, "Really, you have to read this. I'm telling them to send it to you"

And good lord--this random manuscript is so good that I'm sucked right into its darkness and its complexity that I get out of bed when I'm done reading the partial I have, to e-mail the author at 5 am in the morning to ask for the full ASAP.

And this is why I love my job. I get to find the stories that suck me in and make my aching back disappear. =)


Jodi Meadows said...



lifestyleagent said...

I know that feeling all too well. It's awesome.

As I've said before, there are few other jobs that I'd do that for. :)

jill said...

Wow! Conratulations on finding the gem and congratulations on the author for writing it and sending it to you!

Tara Maya said...

I recently started using a Kindle, and one thing I love about it is how it equalizes all my reading material. I have mss I'm beta reading in my list alongside The Kite Runner, and I can switch between them. It's not like when you read a stack of paper vs a shiny hardcover book -- the hardcover book always seems more professional. On the Kindle, the writing has to speak for itself, regardless of packaging.

Maybe this isn't such a big deal for an agent, who is used to reading professional level writing in mss form, but for me it's quite a shift in how I experience the difference between published and unpublished writers.