Friday, March 20, 2009

Two More Years Until I'm Respectable

It's that time of year again, when all good Sesame Street fans must bid Big Bird a Happy Birthday, as he is now perpetually six again!

And this year, since I share the same birthday as Big Bird, I'm 28. =)

The title of the blog post comes from the fact that when I started in this business, four years ago, I was only 24. And that fact threw so many people, including prospective clients. I was told how young I was! I was told, "Why surely, you're too young to be an agent!" I was told by prospective clients, and I kid you not, "What a baby you are!" And while I am sure that every single person who ever mentioned this was incredibly well-meaning, the idea has gotten stuck in my head that perhaps I will be considered respectable when I turn thirty. Two more years to go!

In the meantime, I'm greatly enjoying the fact that I still look younger than 28 (most times), and so I thought I'd throw up a picture that was taken of me ten years ago, when I was 18. I've shown it to my friend and loyal webmistress, Laurel, who tells me I look all of 13 in it. I feel so loved. =)

The provenance of the picture is June 1999 and it was taken on the last event of our senior week in high school, which was a cruise around the NYC Harbor on the Circle Line. By some freak chance, the World Trade Center is in the background. I'm the one on the far right in the black and white dress. I'm young. And thin. Oh, so very thin. =)

14 comments:

aimee said...

Happy Birthday, you little kid you! (I've been respectable for two years now! NYAH NYAH!)

Tochi said...

I never knew you were 28. That's really interesting.

As they say in hip hop, 'I gotta give you props'. You've done quite a lot for a 28 year old.

I'm 24. I have similar plans of world domination but they'll have to wait for a while.

Out of curiousity, do you notice any difference in attitude between you and most agents, who are usually older? In terms of how you approach books, spotting trends and such?

Tara Maya said...

It's your birthday?! My husband's too. *I am mentally sharing cake.* Do you prefer carrot or chocolate icecream cake? I bought both.

D.A. Riser said...

Looking too young? You could grow a beard. Oh wait, that's only for us young looking guys. Sorry. Congratz, though, on the birthday!

MaLanie said...

I understand how you feel. I had my first child at eighteen.

Everyone (and their dog) felt they needed to remind me how young I was.

Out of my insecurity I spent my twenties trying to look forty! When everyone else in the nineties looked and dressed like Jenifer Aniston I did my best to model a perfect Clare Huxtable look.

Now that I am pushing forty it's a whole different story!

Respect comes from within, as long as you respect yourself others will respect you no matter what your age.

P. Bradley Robb said...

Happy Birthday, Jenny Rae!

Don't fret about the being under thirty situation. Simply inform people that it's accomplishments, not age, that matter.

And in full disclosure, I'm only a few months older than you.

Jarucia said...

Happy birthday, Jenny.

I know EXACTLY how you feel. I looked forward to my 30th b-day since I was 15...I wanted people to take me seriously.

And they have for 3 years now. It's great.

Plus, I still enjoy the benefits of getting carded all the time :)

Cheers *<:0) to your final two years as a youngin'!

marikris said...

Happy Birthday Jenny!

I think you're lucky to look younger than your age ^_^ I spent most of my adolescent and young adult life being called "Ma'am." One guy even told me how nice it was that I was spending time to be with my daughter...I was 12, she was 10, and we were skipping outside of church (!!!) It got awkward when we informed him of that haha.

Time does fly, doesn't it? I turn 27 in a week and I'm the total opposite of you: I feel quite unaccomplished since I'm just now graduating from college. But better now than never eh. It's just that sitting next to my fresh faced classmates makes me feel quite...weathered :) Wonder what next year will bring.

Nathalie Mallet said...

Happy Birthday, Jenny! Have fun today! :)

Jenny Rae Rappaport said...

Thank you everyone! =)

Tochi, some of the agents are a little set in the ways, but I think you have to be adaptable to survive in this business. So they're being adaptable.

aimee, I know about you being respectable! I still owe you (still not done!) your scarf from then... maybe I'll get it done by the time you're 35? =)

lifestyleagent said...

Happy Birthday Jenny. I turn 28 in May and I completely understand what you mean about having two more years in that respectable thing kicks in.

ryan field said...

I remember when you first started Lit Soup, and I really didn't give your age a second thought.


Happy Birthday!!

ivory25 said...

Happy Birthday! Look, it's the Jenny I knew, and the boat trip that either they cancelled or I ignored my senior year, I think, I certainly don't remember doing it. I tend to feel the same way about age being a post-doc too, and if things go as planned, a university professor, before being respectable! We are just that cool! Enjoy special birthday Battlestar tonight, yay!

tcastleb said...

Happy Birthday! I'll be respectable on Monday. That's a good way to look at it. Respectable. Yeah.