Thursday, April 30, 2009

Birthday Contest Winners!

Ok, I have deliberated. I have selected. I have discovered that the process of judging Twitter fiction is *incredibly* subjective. I made my husband read all of them too, and he proceeded to pick completely different entries for his top 3 than I did. So what you have are the ones that I liked the best, since you know, it's my blog. =)

They tend to be heavier on metaphor and almost like poetry, which I think is what drew me towards them so much. And I wanted ones that felt like they told a coherent story, too. It's pure chance that they all are speculative, by the way.

And without further ado, the winners are....

Third Place!

Her bow is red with Sue's blood. We ghosts can do nothing. The pills - they make her crazy. Smiling, she eats a banana for 400 bonus points.


by Katrina S. Forest

Second Place!

She built her house in a banana. I, in an orange. She was wild. I was rich. Laughing, we fell in love and were married in a pomegranate.


by A (or Ad?)

First Place!

In a snow-dusted field under a banana moon they shared whiskey kisses and made promises that were broken with the dawn of a cruel apple sun.


by Erin

If Katrina S. Forest, A (or Ad?), and Erin can please e-mail me at jenny AT rappaportagency DOT com, we will sort out who gets which prize package! =)

I want to thank everyone for entering. I don't think I've ever gotten so many entries for a blog contest... EVER. They were wonderful and talented and creative. So much so that I'm giving two Honorable Mentions because I loved them too. Both Honorable Mentions will receive a copy of RED by Jordan Summers.

Honorable Mention #1:

While stuck alone on a deserted island, Mary learned to love bananas. And not just as food. The long yellow fruit was a sensuous companion.


by Karen Duvall


Honorable Mention #2 (given for sheer pluck and creativity in breaking the word up!):

I slapped, he stroked. I bit, he kissed. I worried. He wrapped his arms around me and led me in a tender samba. Nana, you were so right!

(136 characters)

by missfiddyment

So Karen Duvall and missfiddyment, you both need to e-mail me too!

(Note: I have corrected the character count, using the Twitter home page, where needed.)


Julie Butcher-Fedynich said...

Wow, I'm impressed. Your followers are very talented.

David said...

It occurs to me (brilliant insight that no one else in the world has ever had!) that the shorter the piece of fiction, the more the reader reads into it. It's hard to read things into a 19th-century novel that aren't really there but much easier to do so with a teeny-tiny short short.

(Bows) Thank you, thank you. Your applause is entirely deserved.

Robert W. Leonard said...

Congrats guys! And better luck next time to the rest (me included. *grin)!

Thanks for having the contest.

Casey said...

Congrats to the winners! You picked two of my favs.

Fun blog Birthday contest!

5ws1h said...

Congratulations to all the winners! Who knew so much could be said with 140 characters or less? It's enough to drive you ))) bananas! ))) (140)

Dawn said...

Beautiful, amazing choices. Very deserving winners. Applause, applause!

Ann Victor said...

Congratulations to all the winners!

There were such great entries you must have got a headache choosing. No wonder you roped in your dh!!

k-macfarlane said...

Congratulations to the winners! Great stories. Thanks for the contest, Lit Soup.

Karen Duvall said...

Thanks for the honorable mention, Jenny! :)

PurpleClover said...

Booo! I wanted to win! ;)

But all kidding joking aside (that's just the "boo" part I really did want to win) Congrats!!!! You guys did an awesome job with your microfiction pieces! Loved them.

missfiddyment said...

ooh! I'm so excited.