Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Bookkeeping

I knew that I had missed a book I read in February/March....

15. THE NAME OF THE WIND by Patrick Rothfuss
Excellent, excellent fantasy novel. The narrative structure is brilliant; I really like how it's stories within stories within stories. This is *good* epic fantasy.

16. WHAT WOULD EMMA DO? by Eileen Cook
Strangely, for a novel that consists of a lot of talking about God and Jesus... I really liked it. Granted, there were some strange parts about being born-again that I still can't grok, but I really loved the character of Emma and the situations she found herself in. She was very real.

17. THEN COMES SEDUCTION by Mary Balogh
Another Huxtable novel, as they're blitzing them out with four books this year and one next year. I liked it, but I didn't truly love it until I got most of the way through. I think part of the problem is that the Huxtable family is *so good*, and I like Mary Balogh's romances the most when she's writing about characters that have fundamental flaws. I'm waiting for Con Huxtable's book next year though.

7 comments:

P. Bradley Robb said...

I'm reading The Name of the Wind right now. It's really excellent prose.

Feywriter said...

Love the new blog look. And I loved "The Name of the Wind". It sets the bar high for epic fantasy.

Kristin Laughtin said...

THE NAME OF THE WIND is sitting on my bookshelf as well, waiting for me after I finish AMERICAN GODS. I'm really looking forward to reading it.

ryan field said...

I like fundamental flaws, too. I like the mix with romance.

Memoires of a Heroinhead said...

When's the cat due to make an appearance? I've been eagerly waiting for over a week?

BW, Shane.

Jenny Rae Rappaport said...

I have video of the cat, actually!

Hang on, let me upload it and see if I can post without editing much. =)

Nixy Valentine said...

I loved THE NAME OF THE WIND so much. It was one of those books that gripped me in my middle. I still feel that when I hear other people talking about it.

Truly a remarkable book. I think I'll read it again.