Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The day of cat trauma


For those that do not quite remember, I possess a cat with a delicate stomach.

In October 2007, she had a bout of gastroenteritis that required hospitalization when we tried to switch her from kitten food to adult food. She ended up on prescription cat food for life. We have *just* finished paying off the bills for that visit.

So when we found a delightful trail of cat vomit leading to the litter box yesterday evening, we were not pleased. Obviously, she didn't feel well. She was lethargic and tired, and went to sleep on the bed with Chris, my husband. End vomit round #1.

Vomit round #2 occurred at 1:30am this morning, when she decided to throw up all over my bed. Not on Chris, although I might have taken a subtle pleasure from that. =) But it did require awakening my sleeping husband (he slept through it!), so that I could remove the sheets and wash them. Which I did at 2 am. And Zoe retreated under the bed, which is the safest place for all cats.

Vomit round #3 occurred sometime between 4am-8am this morning, the brief period when I was asleep and Chris was asleep.

And to the vet we went this morning!

Zoe has mild pancreatitis, brought upon by being fed too much protein. She was given tiny bits of boiled chicken and turkey last week. Then, Chris in his infinite wisdom, fed her tuna on Sunday night. For the first time in her life. Tuna is not good for my cat.

So now she's resting, and has even more special prescription cat food, and strict diet orders. And they've sent us home with powdered pancreatic enzyme to mix in her wet food, although she refuses to eat any yet. She's had water, and the vet gave her fluids, plus a shot to bring down her fever. (I learned today that a cat runs a fever at 103 degrees F.)

And that has been the day of much cat trauma.

(As an addendum: Yes, I did work today. I contacted eleven editors and got a book out the door to them. I answered e-mail. I have earned my American Idol tonight, after a night of laundry and sleeplessness. At least babies will cry when they're sick, right? =)

13 comments:

The Screaming Guppy said...

Oh, sorry about your kitty. I had to do an emergency room trip a few years back for my cat. Tests, tests and a night in the ER for the equivilant of some pepto and a stomach ache. Very stressful and frustrating to have a sick pet. :(

I hope she feels better soon! And hope your wallet isn't suffering too badly.

David said...

"At least babies will cry when they're sick, right?"

Ohhhhhh, yeah.

Kalika said...

Poor kitty. It's fun to have a sick critter, isn't it? I have a chinchilla that can no longer eat solid food. I'm going to be feeding her wet food twice a day for the rest of her life. That could mean the next 10 years. Fun times.

Dara Edmondson said...

Poor kitty - poor you! One of my cats is nicknamed Ralph for such behavior. I feel your pain.

Elissa M said...

A sick child is worse than a sick pet, but not by much. I hope you all are feeling better soon.

lynnrush said...

Oh my goodness. I hope things are better today....

lisanneharris said...

I'm so sorry your beautiful kitty was sick. It looks like she's is the best of care with you. :)

We had to leave our cynical half-Siamese, Mojo, with my mother when we moved. We miss him terribly, but he's loving life with mom.

Lisa Iriarte said...

Apparently under the bed is the safest place for small dogs, too. We have two Chinese Crested Powderpuffs, and one has a sensitive stomach. Can't feed her anything except her regular dog food or we're in for real trouble. I hope your beautiful kitty is well soon.

Lisa Iriarte

ryan field said...

My cat was picky, and only ate one brand of food for eighteen years. Not a very good one either, from what they say. But she had a good, long life.

Poor Zoe. She must have felt awful.

debra said...

Poor sick kitty, but really poor you. I know full well the joy of cleaning up cat vomit. I have 4 cats and had 2 sick at the same time. Not a pretty sight at my house that week.

I hope everyone gets a good night sleep soon.

JP Garner said...

I'm sorry to here about your cat and hope Zoe feels better. I hope you got to kick back and relax to a little American Idol last night. I have to say, I think Lil Rounds is out tonight.

Mrs.Trujillo said...

So sorry about your kitty!! I have two, Gary and Dilly that look just like her. :)

twozdai said...

I'm sorry to hear that zoe has pancreatitis. My kitty had a very bad case last summer, so I know what you are going through.

I'm glad to hear that zoe is on the mend. Force feeding isn't fun for anyone, but sometimes the best route to getting the good food and meds down! I hope she continues to improve, and will soon be back to her beautiful self!