Thursday, May 21, 2009

Name a topic aka Wisconsin!

Like half the science fiction and fantasy community, I was roped into attending Wiscon many months ago. I had never been. I kept citing excuses like it was too close to BEA (which I need to attend), or that the fact that it was a feminist convention scared me (I took college courses with *angry feminists*; they are somewhat frightening).

But no, my glorious assistant, Jodi Meadows, roped me into going somehow.

So Wisconsin, here I come--in about twelve hours! I'm deliberately keeping the convention relatively low-key, since I come home and go pretty much straight to BEA. Then, after BEA, I go right to Odyssey. Right about now, I feel my head is about to explode from so much stuff to do before I leave for that.

Hence the really, really light blogging lately.

I will attempt to write some blog posts about Wiscon. I'll also be doing blog posts for Odyssey, when I get there.

And in the meantime, in the two weeks until I go to New Hampshire... I invite you all to give me topics to write about! Suggest a topic in the comments! I can't promise that I'll answer all the topics, but I'll pick the ones that interest me, and get at least a few blog posts written up.

Comment away!

PS. I am sad that Adam Lambert didn't win American Idol. But at the same time, I am happy that he won't be saddled with the baggage that goes with being the winner. And I've discovered that the new Green Day album heals my soul. Thank you, Green Day. =)


Adam Heine said...

Would you mind talking about how you work with clients on manuscripts after the first one? Like, do they come up with an idea and run it past you before working on it? Do they hand you their next work and you try to sell it even if you didn't like it as much as their first? What if you don't like their new idea/novel at all?

Cicily Janus said...

Go to the place, right on the Wisconsin/Illinois border...OMG, the name! the name?!?!? It's escaping me. But just ask the locals, they'll know. It's like castle of cheese or something equally as terrible... the cheese...oh the cheese. Don't worry about the conference. Get a rental car and make a break for it. IT's worth it. Have fun.

Katrina S. Forest said...

I know you said that you technically don't close to queries until June, but from the looks of your busy schedule, should we hold off during these last couple weeks of May as well?

Still pondering topic ideas... will have to get back to that.

Catherine said...

I'll be at Wiscon too, and I hope to see you there. My god, who am I NOT going to know at Wiscon this year?


ryan field said...

I'm going to mention two possible topics. One is serious and directed toward agents, and the other is lighter and directed toward blog readers.

1. Do you (or agents in general) look for the author's voice in an unsolicited query letter, or are you more interesetd in a good, conservative summary of the project and then look for the voice in the actual pages?

2. This is a question for the blog readers. If a publisher offered you a contract today and said you could create your ultimate dream character, who would that be?

Jill said...

Have a great time, Jenny.