Thursday, June 25, 2009

Captain Eo is dead

There will probably be countless debate, tribute, and vilification of Michael Jackson, now that he's dead. Cherie Priest has a great, short post that expresses my feelings.

For me, he will always be Captain Eo from the movie they showed at Epcot when I visited in 1988. Enjoy!

Part One:

Part Two:


Tochi said...

The greatest entertainer period.

He rewrote the music business. Revolutionized music itself, the scale & ideas of live performances, music video concepts and budgets, owning artists' publishing, got worldwide respect....

His impact is simply too massive. R.I.P. At least he's up there with Isaac Hayes, Bernie Mac, James Brown and Ray Charles. Those are some funky brothas.

Rock on.

Angelo said...

I haven't seen that since the last time I went to Disney World.. thanks for sharing!!

PS- Did anyone else notice that MJ only turns left? Brought back memories of Zoolander... ;)

Lisa Iriarte said...

Thank you so much for this memory. I can't believe I'd forgotten it, and I'm a huge Disney and Jackson fan. I also saw it in 1987 or so. In 1984 I ran into Michael at the Hoop Dee Doo Revue show here in Orlando. I nearly fainted. He was seated at the very next table to mine. I still have the pictures from that night. I was 14 and had just seen the Victory tour. Not counting my wedding, that was likely the most exciting moment in my life. Despite the controversy surrounding his life, I am deeply saddened by his death.

Lisa Iriarte said...

In case you are curious, (and I know you are incredibly busy), here is the full story of my encounter with Michael.