Monday, June 15, 2009

Monsters in Iran

I'm at Odyssey now, without a TV, but as far as I can tell that's a good thing. Since the 24 hour news networks don't seem to be covering what's happening in Iran very well, my husband tells me, and I'm literally getting my news from people Twittering from Iran, including pictures.

And they are horrible pictures.

These are the not-so-horrible-pictures.

There are others that are excessively graphic. They have blood. They have conceivably dead students, judging from the blood. I thought hard and long about putting up the link to them because they are so graphic and so horrifying. And then I thought that I needed to put the link up because as terrible as they are and as much as I want to cry from them... people need to see what the Iranian government is doing to its students.

THE FOLLOWING LINK CONTAINS PICTURES THAT ARE NSFW AND MAY BE UPSETTING TO MANY PEOPLE. PLEASE BE WARNED OF THIS, IF YOU CHOOSE TO CLICK ON THE LINK. THEY ARE MOST DEFINITELY NOT FOR CHILDREN.

These are the horrible pictures from the University of Esfahan.

I sit here, in my safe little dorm room in New Hampshire, and I am utterly horror-struck that they are killing students. Or attempting to kill students. I'm not very sure on the details right now. I just see the pictures and it hurts.

There are monsters out there. And they are killing people.
-------
FYI: Two of the most informational twitter feeds at the moment are @Change_For_Iran and @persiankiwi. Hooray for citizen journalism.

2 comments:

Jarucia said...

Thanks for sharing this, Jenny. I've been following mainstream media thus far (particularly BBC), but they haven't touched on this much.

My paternal grandparents (along with two aunts and an uncle) lived in Iran from 1976-79ish and I grew up listening to stories of what it was like for them as Westerners to witness life before and leading up to the over through of the Shah. Seems Iran hasn't come all that far in 3 decades. Ironically it was the students back then who ushered in the new (now) Iranian regime. I wonder if this won't lead to a new revolution.

deb said...

I have a college age(and one soon to be that age) son. So, these pictures really hit me in the gut. I will say a prayer for all these young men and women. My sympathy goes out to their families.