Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Wordnerds

Have I mentioned yet that Odyssey is everything I hoped it would be and more? It is exhilarating and stimulating, at the same time that it is fatiguing, and I'm learning a million and one things about writing. Melissa Scott is coming as this week's lecturer guest, and we're rolling along on writing new things and discussing our strengths and weaknesses with Jeanne Cavelos (who runs Odyssey).

Plot is one of my weaknesses, which I knew before I came here, and she is so good at helping me with it that I want to put her in a box and take her home with me. =)

The best part of Odyssey though is that I'm surrounded by wordnerds. There are sixteen of us, all passionate about writing, and wanting to talk about it all the time. We have conversations at lunch, in class during our break, walking back and forth from the dorms, and even in the car on the way to dinner (we had a 21st birthday to celebrate today). I can't tell you how much I enjoy being around people who I find intellectually stimulatng, and who are also funny and kind. I would post pictures and names, but I don't want to do that without asking people first. There will eventually probably be a picture of us in Locus at some point, since there usually is of the class as a whole.

Everything has been lovely here, with the exception of the rain and the unseasonable coolness (down to 50-55 degrees at night!). It's supposed to rain the rest of the week, so we've been making a point of going outside to eat our lunches, and then sitting and soaking up the sunshine on the lawn by the dorms, while we read stories for critiques.

I think you can say I'm having fun, and I'm going to come back with a bunch of stories to revise and submit. If you can, seriously think about applying next year. =)

No comments: