Thursday, August 27, 2009

A Summer's Worth of Books

These are not in the order that I read them and I can't guarantee that I'm remembering all of them--I have yet to unpack the books I took to Odyssey with me.

But here's what I've read since I last did one of these...

26. THE WINDUP GIRL by Paolo Bacigalupi
Simply excellent. Paolo's my friend, so you may think that I'm writing all of this about the book out of friendship, but that's simply not the case. THE WINDUP GIRL is a dark and gritty look at an incredibly well-imagined future where calories are the currency and geneticists are assets. It sucks you into the futuristic Bangkok, to a land where the foreigners, the farang, are the hated ones, and then makes you care about all of these characters doing questionably moral things. I adored it. And what makes it so good, at least to me, what with all the current talk about including more people of color in novels--and I think that's a good thing--is that almost every main character in this novel *isn't* white. It makes it that more interesting and rich. Go buy the book now.

27. WHAT HAPPENS IN LONDON by Julia Quinn
Julia Quinn seems to be getting her groove back...

28. A DUKE OF HER OWN by Eloisa James
Loved the end of the series.

29. FOREST BORN by Shannon Hale
While I love the Bayern books, I find that they're starting to fall into something of a pattern. I love Shannon's writing though, so I'm eagerly looking forward to whatever she does next. It's still a good book, but not a GREAT book.

30. WHO KILLED AMANDA PALMER by Amanda Palmer and Neil Gaiman
I'm not sure much can top the photos and the stories that go here; it's as much a work of art as it is a book.

31. STIFF by Mary Roach
I adored this book on cadavers, which says something about the quality of the writing. =)

32. THE LITTLE ICE AGE by Brian M. Fagan

33. THE END OF OVEREATING: TAKING CONTROL OF THE INSATIABLE AMERICAN APPETITE by David Kessler

Notice the non-fiction kick, which I've been expanding with other books about strange and varied topics.

34. DEVLIN'S LUCK by Patricia Bray
This was a nicely solid fantasy novel and it's good enough that I'm going to eventually go acquire books 2 and 3 in the trilogy.

35. THE BABY NAME WIZARD by Laura Wattenberg
No, I'm not pregnant. I like names. Their etymology is fascinating and this book takes a very interesting look at current American naming trends.

36. BOOK CRUSH by Nancy Pearl

37. DEADLY COMPANIONS: HOW MICROBES SHAPED OUR HISTORY by Dorothy H. Crawford

And that's it for now folks. I'm hunkering down and diving into manuscripts for awhile.

2 comments:

Eileen said...

I love Mary Roach's books. Have you read Boink? I give that a big thumbs up

A P Mullaly said...

I read the Little Ice Age, a year back or so, as research for a post-apocalyptic book I'm working on. Interestin stuff. I'm also a fan of Patricia Bray and her Devlin series.

Good Reading!