Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Upcoming and Recent Books

I figured now is as good a time as any to do one of these posts.

Recent Books:

THE BURNING SKIES by David J. Williams is the second book in the Autumn Rain trilogy. The espionage and long games get taken to space for hyperactive battles and double-crosses. It's good. It's really, really good, and there are things coming that you never saw.

LIBYRINTH by Pearl North. A fantastic YA novel about the power of reading and the power of song. It's the one book I'd want my daughter to read, if I had a daughter. LIBYRINTH is the first of a trilogy, so start reading it now!

BY BLOOD WE LIVE edited by John Joseph Adams is another fantastic reprint anthology from Night Shade Books. It's vampires this time, and includes stories from Stephen King, Neil Gaiman, L. A. Banks, Joe Hill, and Kelley Armstrong, among many other very fine authors.









THE KING'S DAUGHTERS by Nathalie Mallet. The sequel to THE PRINCES OF THE GOLDEN CAGE takes Prince Amir up to icy Sorvinka, where he must figure out the mystery of why the king's daughters are being transmuted into bears.

Upcoming Books:

THE IMPROBABLE ADVENTURES OF SHERLOCK HOLMES edited by John Joseph Adams hits store shelves in September 2009. It's a great anthology focused on the intersection of fantasy and mystery that lies at the heart of all good Sherlock Holmes fiction. Featuring stories from mystery authors like Laurie R. King and Anne Perry, as well as stories from fantasy authors like Michael Moorcock and Neil Gaiman.

WINTER SONG by Colin Harvey is part of the second wave of launch titles from Angry Robot, the new science fiction imprint of HarperCollins UK. It will be available in the UK in October 2009 and in the US in February 2010. HOWEVER! And this is a big however! You can order the book from Book Depository UK, in US dollars, with FREE shipping for $6.84. It will come in a handy package from the Royal Mail in about five days. I order all the UK editions of books I want that way, and I highly recommend it for getting Colin's book in time for this holiday season. You'll notice the link points to Book Depository for you.



WINTER SONG is classic hard science-fiction with a singularity spin on it. Quoting from the description on HarperCollins Australia's site:

"The planet had fallen off the map.

When Karl Altman′s spaceship crashed, he had only one question:

"HOW THE HELL DO I GET OUT OF HERE?"

Rock-hard sci-fi adventure. No-one here gets out alive.

When his spaceship crashes on an unknown and forgotten planet, scientist Karl Altman discovers himself hunted by an ancient race. The descendants of a Viking race have reverted to a savage culture of sacrifice, pillage and violence. When Karl falls in love with an outcast girl, he has only one goal: escape. But escape is a distant dream on this nightmare planet."

It's the book that made me sign Colin as a client, and it will hopefully be the first of many deals I do with the guys at Angry Robot.

There will also be various foreign editions of books that I've sold, as well as book club editions of a few. Keep an eye out for them, if you're looking for that sort of thing.

5 comments:

barbarienne said...

Hey you! I haven't talked to you in, like, forever. I have nothing interesting to say, but I wanted to pop in and say "Hi!"

Jenny Rae Rappaport said...

Hey, E! I know, isn't it ridiculous? You live like an hour away from me too! =)

Do you want to drive up for dinner one weekend? Or we can drive down too, Chris and I.

Spencer Ellsworth said...

I insist on coming along. We can drive up for dinner one weekend... well, it will take two weekends to actually drive there.

Congrats on the sales. It's great to say, "I have a client at Angry Robot."

Malia Sutton said...

BBWL looks interesting. I'll have to check it out.

Cantrell said...

I haven't read "Burning Skies" yet, but I just finished "Mirrored Heavens" (I wanted to read them in order). Good stuff. High-action cyberpunk. What's not to like?

Christian