Wednesday, September 09, 2009

North California recommendations

Because John Joseph Adams is nominated for a World Fantasy Award, I'll be trekking out to San Jose, CA in October. I'll have a bunch of sightseeing time, so if there's something you think I NEED to see in the Bay Area/Napa/somewhere else within reasonable driving distance, leave a note here.


ryan field said...

If you have time, there's a great winery, Viansa. I've been there, and I've been part of their wine club for ten years.

You can check out the web site first, too.

Blythe said...

Rodeo Beach--if you like a slightly hostile sea. Asian Art Museum, SF. Adventure playground at the Berkely Marina (You can't get in without a child--the whole thing is under constant construction and destruction by the children who visit. saws, and hammers, and scraps of garbage and provided, but you have to bring your own imagination. If you are a NASA geek, the USS Hornet at Alameda. The sculpture of Quetzalcoatl in San Jose that looks like a giant dog turd. Honestly, you'll have to try really hard not to find something to do, no matter what your inclinations.

Adam Heine said...

There's the Monterey Bay Aquarium about 1-1.5 hours south.

There's all the famous stuff in San Francisco. My favorites there are Alcatraz (everyone should go once) and Pier 39 (clam chowder in a sourdough bread bowl on a cold, SF day = perfect).

I always loved the Exploratorium as a kid, but I haven't been there in about 20 years, so I can't rightfully speak for it now.

Rachel said...

gimundous cedar trees

Gilbert J. Avila said...

Castro Street in Mountain View; you could eat in a different restaurant every day for more than a month, and then there are the restaurants on the side streets,too.

Also on Castro Street: The East-West Bookshop, a nice friendly New Age shop, albeit a little light in the Earth's elder madness and forgotten lore areas. Across the street from them is The Bookbuyers. A marvellous used bookshop. They were so happy when unemployment and subsequent poverty forced me to sell them a 40-year accumulation of books.

(Sob! )

BronzeWord said...

The Martin King Jr. Memorial walk.
Jo Ann Hernandez

Scott said...

The 17 Mile Drive from Pacific Grove to Carmel is gorgeous. If you like fish and chips, our favorite place to get them is Camelot Fish & Chips in Pacifica. I've had f&c in several states and three countries (including England) and have never had any better or fresher. Napa Valley deserves its reputation. I especially like it up by St. Helena. Or you can spend all your time in San Francisco and still not see everything worth seeing.

I'm living in exile now, but I miss the area where I grew up, between San Jose and Oakland.

Scott said...

Oh, and Muir Woods north of SF is a great place to walk among beautiful redwoods, with easy access and easy trails.

Blythe said...

If you are going down to Pacific Grove, do note the Borg Motel adjacent to Lover's Point. And October means the butterflies might be at Natural Bridges State Park in Santa Cruz.

Cantrell said...

I'll add another vote for Castro St. It's a fantastic piece of San Francisco culture. I used to go up there for breakfast or dinner weekly.

Another vote for Muir woods, as well. Stunning experience. Beautiful drive, too. You can do Muir woods and Sausalito in one day.

And finally, I highly recommend the California Academy of Sciences close to Golden Gate Park. I've been to a lot of science museums in my life, but this one is by far the coolest. Make sure to check out the planetarium.