Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Slowness warning

As some or all of you may be aware, I'm one of those lucky people who manage to get rheumatoid arthritis in their twenties. It's usually controlled by medications, but due to a number of reasons, I can't take most of them right now. Which means that the RA, which is everywhere in my body, has been coming at my hands and feet with a vengeance lately.

At the moment, my right wrist is fairly shot, and I'm even slower answering email because of a wrist brace on it. Client and editor e-mail must, must come first right now; everyone else, I have your email, but you must wait on a reply for a bit. I'm really sorry, but there's only so much typing I can do before I want to scream in pain.

I'm off to the Rocky Mountain Fiction Writers Conference tomorrow, but when I get back I think it will be time to bite the bullet and shell out the $200+ for Dragon Naturally Speaking software so I can get more work done.

If it's urgent and you need to reach me, call the number on the agency website.

8 comments:

Angelo said...

Sorry to hear about the pain.. I have carpal tunnel in my left wrist, which is slowly becoming less mild. I know that's not nearly the same thing, but I also know about having to continue to work through the pain.

DNS is definitely worth it. When they were beta testing the current platform, they let us, as undergrads at Drexel University, test it out. But that was years ago. So many, in fact, that I now need two hands to count it... ;)

I highly recommend the program. I use it for transcripts when I am done with interviews. Makes life a lot easier.. and less painful.

E.H. Adams said...

Take care of yourself and feel better soon!

pj schnyder said...

Hoping you feel better - it's not just hard to type with RA, but knitting and working with yarn must be tough too.

As part of my day job, Ive been on the team that got Orencia approved so I've gotten a sneak peak into what RA does to a person's life. I'm hoping you find a treatment that works for you.

SM Blooding said...

ACK! Take care of yourself. I have a pinched nerve that affects my arms and hands. Fun, fun. But a good massage will generally alleviate that. Most times.

I hear that Dragon is good. I'm thinking about it too, but I'm unsure of how well that will work. My fingers sound smarter than my mouth most times. *worried frown*

So, good luck on that and, hopefully, I'll see you at the conference. I'll be one of the several people staring up at you with moon eyes and going agog at your all-mightiness.

*eye roll* Oh dear...

Terry Heath said...

I purchased my copy of DNS on eBay for less than $100, so you might try there. At the time I had heard there wasn't much difference in the newer versions; that might still hold true, so some research could be worth it.

The Screaming Guppy said...

Feel better. :( I have minor arthritis in both my hands, but not yet serious enough for me to stay on medication - and its still a pain in the butt.

Well wishes your way.

Patrice Sarath said...

My sister has RA and it's a terrible disease. I do hope you feel better soon.

Quietly Says said...

I found Dragon NS to be very helpful when I had a broken hand. I think you will enjoy it. Just take the time to train it and you will do better with it. Good luck.