Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Job Posting: Literary Agent Assistant

My wonderful assistant, Jodi Meadows, has let me know that she will be stepping down from her post at the end of this year, in order to focus more on her own writing. Jodi is a talented writer in her own right, and although I am saddened by her departure, I know that she's going to end up producing great stuff for me to read. :-)

In the meantime, I am searching for a new assistant. The job description is as follows:

The Rappaport Agency, LLC is looking for a smart, hard-working, book-loving assistant with good organizational skills for our Freehold, NJ office. Responsibilities include evaluating manuscript submissions, writing revision letters, communicating with authors and editors, and learning the ins and outs of the publishing process. The Rappaport Agency, LLC offers a comprehensive introduction to the world of book publishing and mentorship by Jenny Rappaport, an experienced literary agent.

A love of genre fiction, particularly science fiction and fantasy, is a must for this position. Ideally, a dedicated period of time as an assistant will lead to future employment as a literary agent. Although the position can be partially filled through telecommuting, serious applicants will be able to travel to our office at least once a week. Cat allergy sufferers should be aware that the office contains a cat.

This is a part-time position with a small amount of financial compensation.

Please send all resumes and cover letters by e-mail to jenny@rappaportagency.com with the subject line "Assistant".

14 comments:

Angie Ledbetter said...

Makes me ALMOST wish I lived in Joisey!

Sarah said...

Ditto to what Angie said.

Kalika said...

Sounds fun! I'd do it for free but I happen to be in the wrong country.

Antiqueight said...

Wondering what the distance working opportunities might be for those of us who -say- live in Ireland?

Lexie said...

awww Jerzee ain't so bad!

we gave y'all plenty to like us for...Bon Jovi for instance or um...

I swear we do good for the world!

Jenny Rae Rappaport said...

Ireland is not exactly doable. :-)

I'm getting some great applications already.

Lexie said...

...I'm only slightly nervous applying. only slightly. ::hides under the covers::

Krista G. said...

Talk about a dream job:) But since I live in Nevada (and don't have a private jet at my disposal), I guess I won't be applying.

Good luck to whoever gets the job!

ryan field said...

Sorry to hear about Jodi leaving. She's very talented.

evepaludan said...

What a great opportunity! I'll post the link to this on my Facebook.

Liana Brooks said...

If I could do it all by telecommuting I'd be there in a heartbeat. But NJ is too far a drive from the Deep South.

Good luck to Jodi in her new move and best wishes to whomever gets the job!

DOT said...

The job is mine - ignore the fact I live in Brighton, UK. That I am over-sixty so, by definition in most dictionaries, useless, and cannot possibly commute, I qualify on every other count. If you are talking fantasy, this is fantasy.

Bane of Anubis said...

Best wishes to Jodi and happy hunting for a new WA.

Debs said...

Sounds like a fabulous job, and I live in Jersey. Unfortunately it's the old one in the Channel Islands and not New Jersey.