Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Educating myself

I view agenting as a job that will require me to keep learning throughout my life. Whether it's figuring out new revenue sources (Google, I'm looking at you), or becoming more specialized in the history of the genres I represent, I've still got tons of stuff to learn.

To that aim, I've decided that I want to know even more about the romance genre than I do already. When I worked with Paige Wheeler, I had access to her great collection of Romantic Times and the Romance Writers Report from RWA. It let me keep current with what was being bought in the romance field, but more importantly, it let me keep abreast of what romance writers were currently reading and talking about. Industry information is so important, regardless of whether it's aimed at editors, agents, booksellers, or authors.

Fast-forward several years... and I no longer have subscriptions to those great periodicals... except now I do, again. =) Romantic Times will be winging its way to me shortly, and I'm about to mail off my very own application for RWA. I feel like I've come full-circle, since I was a baby agent.

To that aim, I'm curious to see what new romance novels you recommend that I pick up. What are you reading and LOVING right now? I can (and do) stalk people buying books in bookstores, but I'd love to hear what my blog readers are into at the moment. Drop me a line in the comments of this post!

5 comments:

Jenn Lidster said...

I have to recommend Annette McCleave's DRAWN INTO DARKNESS. And not just because she's a fellow member of the Ottawa Romance Writers Association (an RWA chapter). It was a very enjoyable read and a unique world!

Tez Miller said...

I prefer romance as a sub-plot, rather than the major plot. But I highly recommend UNDERCOVER, a futuristic erotic romance by Lauren Dane :-)

Malia Sutton said...

Since you mentioned it, you actually inspired the female protagonist in my latest published romance with a blog post you once wrote. It's a pg rated vampire romance that has a strong, independent female protagonist, with a lot of love and a very happy ending.

I'm serious. But I don't want to put you on the spot here on the thread. So I'll e-mail you the review copy of the e-book. If you want to read it, it's complimentary. If you don't want to read it, no one will be the wiser. You can just hit delete :)

And, I'm not hocking the book or my work. It's already been pubbed. I also have an agent that I adore.

Lynn Crain said...

I would pick up any Linnea Sinclair novel as wel as Ann Aguirre as they both write very, very well. I've also read C.E.Murphy and Shannon K. Butcher as I am really into Urban Fantasy right now. Also, Katherine Allred's book, Close Encounters is wonderful!

It could be I'm just skewed since I love reading what I like to write. LOL!

Lynn Crain

Richmond Writer said...

How about a post on the Harlequin Horizon print? I'd be interested in what you have to say.