Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Top Ten E-books

Since I plan on traveling light to Japan, at least in terms of books, I'm going to try to take as much as possible on my Kindle.

If you had to pick the top ten e-books I should buy, what would they be?

Keep in mind that I like science fiction and fantasy, young adult, and romance, plus a smattering of other genres. What I've been reading the last year should give you a good idea of what I like, mostly.

Any and all suggestions are very welcome. =)


Kalika said...

The best kindle deal would be The Night's Dawn Trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton. It puts together three HUGE books into one inexpensive ebook.

It's sci-fi, and I like to describe it as a zombie war in space. Something mysterious is affecting people and it's spreading from city to city, planet to planet. The large cast of characters and complex plot lines made this a page-turner for me.

annathepiper said...

May I plug my fellow Drollerie author Cindy Lynn Speer? Her book The Chocolatier's Wife is a lovely little mix of a murder mystery, a romance, and a fantasy novel. :)

lotusgirl said...

Well, I can't remember what all you've read, but I loved Hunger Games and Catching Fire.

I just read The Help and loved it. (Not really your wheelhouse, but an intriguing story).

evepaludan said...

I Sing the Body Departed by J.R. Rain $5.99 (a ghost must solve his own murder - STUNNING ending:

Crossroads Cafe by Deborah Smith (currently free)- A bit too long, but I loved the characters. What a stellar cast.

The Shunning by Beverly Lewis (currently free) - Why do I love Amish romances so much?

Is it OK to plug my own? Mid-life romance with mystery and reinvention of a woman's life:

Letters from David by Eve Paludan
99 cents

Lynn Viehl said...

I think you'd really enjoy Trick of the Light by Rob Thurman; that one knocked my socks off in 2009. Anything by Marjorie M. Liu, especially The Iron Hunt (but begin with the short story in Wild Things antho.) Patricia Briggs' new were series is great (starts with a short story in On the Prowl antho, I think.)

I wish all these authors would quit selling stories to anthos; makes it hard to keep a mental list!

KylieQ said...

A plug for an Australian writer... Graham Storr's TimeSplash will be released 15 Feb on e-book. I'm looking forward to it although as I don't have a Kindle, I'm not quite sure how I'm going to read it yet!

Kalika said...

I encourage you to by all your ebooks before you leave. I'm in Canada, and when I buy ebooks, they charge me extra even if I don't use whispernet, simply because I'm not in the US.

The fun thing is that I can't get customer support to figure out once and for all if this is normal or an error. Twice now I've been issued apology vouchers, while others tell me international buyers are always charged more.