Thursday, January 28, 2010

Traveling Books

I am understandably saddened by the fact that J. D. Salinger passed away, although my aunt's death is putting it all in perspective.

What Salinger's death did remind me of, however, is that I don't think I've ever talked about my traveling books....

When I went to college in the summer of 1999, my parents laid down the law. I could bring a ton (I literally went with a mini U-Haul trailer; I was optimistic about dorm rooms) of stuff, but I had to leave most of my books at home. I love books; I loved books then just as much, so leaving them at home was the real hardship. It didn't matter how many clothes I brought with me to school or how many melamine dishes accompanied me--it wasn't going to be home without books.

So my parents and I compromised. I could bring ten books, but no more than ten books. I had to essentially pick a set of traveling books, which would go back and forth with me every time I moved back home for the summer. It was hard, mind you, to pick the books, but these are the ones that I remember....

CATCHER IN THE RYE by J. D. Salinger
LORD OF THE FLIES by William Golding
ON THE BEACH by Nevil Shute
THE BLUE CASTLE by L. M. Montgomery
TIGER BURNING BRIGHT by Marion Zimmer Bradley, Andre Norton, and Mercedes Lackey

I'm obviously missing five books, but my brain isn't filling them in right now. =) I think it essentially means that these are the books that will always travel with me, which have stuck with me through thick and thin, since I still remember them.

RIP, J. D. Salinger.

1 comment:

CKHB said...

Some parents take toys out of a kid's room when they misbehave. My parents used to take away my books as punishment... but only ones they knew I'd already read. I was a ravenous re-reader as well as reader. Forcing kids to read new material is not a bad thing.