Saturday, February 13, 2010

Olympics, Olympics!

I love the Olympics with a passion, particularly the Winter Olympics. There's something about seeing all the athletes competing, knowing that I will never, ever be able to do any of that stuff.... it's hard to put into words, but it touches my heart and makes me smile and cheer and be really happy. =)

And that was a run-on sentence, wasn't it?

Anyway, if you aren't watching the Olympics on TV (or internet), then you should be!

The Opening Ceremonies yesterday were nice, although I have to say the ones in Beijing in 2008 were better. I enjoyed the singers, thought the dancing was nice, and I liked the Parade of Nations. Yes, I'm one of those strange people that actually like the Parade of Nations. I happily knitted away and listened to Bob Costas and Matt Lauer make commentary about each and every country. I have to say that I'm very sad that the Jamaican bobsled team failed to qualify this year.

And of course, it's terribly sad to hear about the death of the Georgian luger...

For me though the highlight of the Olympics will always be the figure skating. I have waited and waited for this Olympics with bated breath, particularly because every single discipline is so freaking deep with talent this year.

I mean, take ice dance. You have Belbin and Agosto going up against Davis and White going up against two good Russian teams, plus Virtue and Moir for Canada plus two decent teams from France. And any of those teams could have a stellar competition and win it hand's down. Not to mention that over half of them are skating to Requiem for a Dream, which will instantly put those who don't skate to it at an advantage, I think.

And then you have the men's competition, where Plushenko has come back from retirement. And is reportedly able to do a quad toe-quad toe, which is freaking unbelievable. But Plushenko isn't the only one there who's incredible. There's Brian Joubert from France; Stephan Lambiel from Switzerland; Jeremy Abbot, Johnny Weir (my perennial fave), and Evan Lysacek from the US; Patrick Chan from Canada; and Daisuke Takahashi and Nobunari Oda from Japan. It's a deep, deep field, and that's not even counting other skaters who are up-and-coming, like my personal new favorite, Florent Amodio from France. You have to love the French skaters, by the way, since they do jumps and artistry with such utter flair. Also, don't discount Denis Ten from Kazakhstan who will be utterly amazing in a few years, and is incredible right now.

The pair's competition is good too, although I just want Shen and Zhao to win gold. I'll be a happy girl then.

And the ladies competition is just as intense, with Kim Yu-Na poised to take gold, if her nerves don't get the better of her. But don't discount Mao Asada, Akiko Suzuki, and Miki Ando of Japan, as well as Joannie Rochette of Canada (not a fave of mine). The US ladies are Rachel Flatt (predictable and boring) and Mirai Nagasu (really could be great one day), and shouldn't be totally discounted either. Add in Carolina Kostner of Italy, and it's going to be a very, very good competition this year.

Expect the blog to be fairly ice skating heavy the next few weeks. =)

So, tell me, what are your favorite Olympic sports and why?


Julia said...

I love figure skating. My oldest daughter was a figure skater and I put my time in, both on and off the ice with her.

What is funny is that my little one keeps asking why her sister isn't on TV, insisting she is just as good.

Tawna Fenske said...

I know you're a cat person, Jenny, so you and Zoe might appreciate this . . .

One of our three cats is a crazy feral kitty we trapped almost 12 years ago. She's not very social, and spends 99% of her time lurking under a bed and taking pot shots at the other pets in the house.

But her one true passion in life is figure skating. Must be something about the movement and the music, I guess. If there's any figure skating on television, Ivy can sit mesmerized for hours. When my husband flipped on the TV last night and saw figure skating, he rushed into the other room to grab the cat. Though Ivy normally hates to be held, my husband stood there in front of the TV last night cradling her in his arms while she purred uncontrollably at the skaters.


holly said...

i love skating ! and i love the olympics because they can keep you attatched to the tv as long as they are on.