Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Place Your Bets

To say that I'm excited about the skating during the men's short program tonight is an understatement. Johnny Weir did well, although he wrong-edged his triple flip and lost lots of points. =( We also won't mention how utterly sad I am for Brian Joubert or Jeremy Abbott, both of who have really lovely programs.

I'd like to point out, to say again, that I really don't like Evan Lysacek. I don't know why, exactly, except that something about his skating rubs me the wrong way. It's the same way I never truly liked Timothy Goebel or Jeffrey Buttle, although I can admire that all three men are talented skaters.

But oh, the jumps on Plushenko! The utter, utter awesome of Daisuke Takahashi. The fact that Nobunari Oda did well too, as well as a whole host of other skaters. And when Daisuke's score posted, I started screaming and jumping around because suddenly the men's competition had turned into an entire horse race.

I am totally stoked for Thursday. If Daisuke doesn't implode in his long program, he's still in contention.

On another note entirely, I was also watching American Idol tonight. And seriously, how long can Ryan Seacrest and the producers draw out the suspense on the top 24? It's so cheezy that it's beyond belief. Just show us the people and get to the competition already.

2 comments:

ryan field said...

"On another note entirely, I was also watching American Idol tonight. And seriously, how long can Ryan Seacrest and the producers draw out the suspense on the top 24? It's so cheezy that it's beyond belief. Just show us the people and get to the competition already."

This is exactly what I said last night. They need to move it along.

Nadia Lee said...

I've never been a fan of Buttle (never seen much of him to become a fan), but I've seen a lot of Timothy Goebel's programs. I find Timothy much more interesting and more worthy of respect than Evan. Though both lack artistry (channeling a charred headless chicken doesn't count as artistic -- yes, I'm looking at you, Evan!), Timothy had AWESOME quads. Also unlike Evan, Timothy has contributed to the sport by becoming the first man ever to land a quad salchow in competition and the first man ever to land three quad jumps in one program. What he's done able to accomplish is even more astounding if you consider the fact that he competed against Alexei Yagudin and Evegeni Plushenko in their prime.