Monday, March 01, 2010

Book suggestion needed!

Dearest blog readers, I need your help!

I have firmly sworn myself to bringing only two physical books with me to Japan, since my suitcase space will be at a premium, and things like special contact cleaning solution take precedence (it's impossibly hard to find even in the USA). I have decided, along with the space premium issues, that these books must be mass market releases.

I have one book picked out already, which is SERVANT OF THE UNDERWORLD by Aliette de Bodard, who I'm proud to be friends with through my writing group.

But now I need a second book to bring with me, and I have no clue what to go out and buy that will make my 14 hour plane ride go by quickly. I need your help! Here's my requirements--please post suggestions in the comments! =)

  1. The book needs to be a mass-market. It can be a chunky mass-market, such as from Angry Robot (like Aliette's book), but it needs to be mass-market size.
  2. It needs to take me awhile to read--this rules out romance novels, unfortunately, as I devour them. Similarly, YA is probably not the greatest choice, unless it's a really dense YA.
  3. I want it to be something that's been released in the last two years or so. Nothing further back than that.
Thanks in advance for all your help!

7 comments:

ryan field said...

The best book I read all year so far is Jamie Ford's HOTEL AT THE CORNER OF BITTER AND SWEET.

And, due to the subject matter about how Asian Americans were treated during war time (Idaho camps), and how people lived in fear, it might be appropriate for a trip to Japan.

Snarky Writer said...

Aw. I was going to suggest A GAME OF THRONES by George R.R. Martin because it's absolutely huge and will take you at least fourteen hours, but it was released in 1997. :(

Jenny Rae Rappaport said...

I've also read A GAME OF THRONES and own it already. =)

V.R. Leavitt said...

Not sure how thick it is because I listened to the audio version, but "The Mystery of Grace," by Charles de Lint comes out tomorrow in mass-market.

Sabrina said...

I read the first book in Kate Elliot's newest trilogy, Spirit Gate, and I really enjoyed. Epic, lots of characters on different paths, and for me, it was fun to see when people's paths would cross and how that would/could changes events. It came out a few years back, while the third book, Traitor's Gate came out a few months ago (still in hardback, though the first are mass market).

I've read a lot of other good books, but they were quickler reads. With the large cast and small details, this was a nice one with which to take my time.

Heather Michelle Brown said...

Last time I went on a trip (with hellish, 12 hour long layovers) I brought Gone With the Wind...long, available in Mass Market, and engaging. :)

Ruth said...

How soon are you going? The Magicians by Lev Grossman will be in paperback in April. The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver was fantastic, but won't be in PB until September. The Historian by E. Kostova came out in 2005; you've probably read it, but if not, I think it would be really fun to read while traveling. I'm reading her new one, The Swan Thieves, right now.