Monday, March 22, 2010

I have consumed literature

I'm taking a break from putting together tax information to download extraneous information from my brain. Mostly, books I've read this year that I haven't written down yet.

14. THE RELUCTANT WIDOW by Georgette Heyer

I was so excited to see this book in the library--a Georgette Heyer novel I hadn't read! Unfortunately, it's a Georgette Heyer novel that I didn't really need to read. It's definitely a lesser Heyer work, and doesn't compare to such gems that I love like FREDERICA or COTILLION. I spent most of the book absolutely hating the heroine for being a complete and total idiot.

15. THE QUIET GENTLEMAN by Georgette Heyer

Similarly, I snagged this from the library, too. Also, disappointing, although it was better than THE RELUCTANT WIDOW, at least.

16. TOKYO BOYS AND GIRLS, Volume 1 by Miki Aihara

And look, more manga! Cute and fun, but not as good as HOT GIMMICK or even HONEY HUNT.

17. TOKYO BOYS AND GIRLS, Volume 2 by Miki Aihara

See above review.

18. THIS WORLD WE LIVE IN by Susan Beth Pfeffer.

I loved the first two books in this series, and this one was a good addition to it. But I felt like she ended the book where the second act of the plot ended, and I DESPERATELY want to see what happens to them in the safe town. I'm not sure it's a cop-out on the part of the author, or if she deliberately wanted to leave the series with an ambiguous ending. I really do think it needs a fourth book, but I don't know if she'll ever write one though. Overall though, I really loved what she did with this trilogy.

19. THE HUNGER GAMES by Suzanne Collins (reread)
20. CATCHING FIRE by Suzanne Collins (reread)

It's been less than a year since I originally read both these books, but THIS WORLD WE LIVE IN whet my appetite for more dystopian fiction, and I went back and devoured them again. I love them, just as much, if not more. I'm eagerly waiting for MOCKINGJAY.

21. THE MYSTERIOUS DISAPPEARANCE OF LEON (I MEAN NOEL) by Ellen Raskin

Oh, this was cute and lovely! Not as good as THE WESTING GAME, but I'm glad I read it. =)

22. THE HUNDRED THOUSAND KINGDOMS by N. K. Jemisin

This was a great book. I'll say up front that I never would have offered it representation as an agent because it's simply not to my taste in writing. But once I bought it, I was forced to read through it, and I'm *really* glad that I persevered. It's not an easy book to read; it's difficult and doesn't explain as much as I wanted it to about the rest of the world. But it's beautifully written, and well done. My one major quibble is that it's marketed as the first in a trilogy, but I think it ended so perfectly that it could have served just as well as a stand-alone. I'm sure the author has more plans for the world, but I liked the glimpse and the picture we saw of it now. Almost like how Brandon Sanderson did with ELANTRIS; I don't need more. In fact, I'm really eager to see what Ms. Jemisin writes outside of this world, since I think she probably has a million more ideas for good books that I'd like to read.

1 comment:

Horserider said...

I'm also rereading Hunger Games and Catching Fire after I don't know how long. I'm reminding myself why I love them so much. Six months until Mockingjay!