Thursday, June 24, 2010

Another Ankle Sprain

The title says it all, but I'll also quote what I said on Twitter earlier today:

I want a Bromstrom Repair on my damn right ankle, and after that, one on my damn left ankle Ten years of this spraining and hurting. Enough.

I am behind frustrated because I can't possibly see how I will get to Kyoto and Nara next week, if I'm still like this. Aaargh.

For the record, I did not fall into a ditch this time. I did not walk into a sign. I was walking on level pavement on the sidewalk. I stepped onto a sewer cap, which might have been a few millimeters lower than the the surrounding pavement. And my entire right foot just flopped sideways. I don't understand why my ankles keep doing this, I really don't.


Sarah N Fisk said...

:-( sorry.

This really isn't a long-term solution (because it makes your ankles weaker), but when I was healing from my really bad sprain (4 weeks on crutches, anyone? Dr said it would have been better if I had broken it) I wore either high top sneakers or ankle braces every day. And I had to wear braces throughout the rest of basketball season. They would have kept me from injuring myself further - if I had stayed off the court as long as I was supposed to... I hurt the other ankle a few weeks later.

Cooking and Screaming said...

Oh, Jenny. That really really sucks. :( Here's wishing you a quick recovery, and no more repetitions!

My husband has similarly delicate ankles; the slightest unevenness in the pavement, an errant gust of air, has been known to bring him crashing to his knees, which are now also delicate after numerous falls. There was a time when his dicky ankle could be relied on to scupper our every plan to walk anywhere while on holiday.

Ice first. Physio is good, if you can get your hands on a therapist.

Nadine said...

I'm so sorry :( Can you wear some kind of braces?

If you go to Nara, there's an adorable cafe just outside the deer park. It's in a Japanese house, run by an awesome guy who speaks wonderful English. It was the highlight of my trip to Japan.

The address is 1291-3 Takabatake-cho, Nara-city

Deb Salisbury said...

Hugs! What damper on your trip.

I hope you're up and about soon.

ryan field said...

I had an aunt who used to fall this way in Macy'

Hope you feel better!!