Monday, August 16, 2010

For lack of a voice

I have tried to figure out why I haven't been blogging as much lately, and besides the obvious no-no of typing with tendinitis (shh, don't tell my doctor right now!).... I just haven't felt like babbling lately. I've come to the conclusion that I don't know what sort of voice I want this blog to have, which I think is holding me back. I'm not an agent--and although I am a writer--I don't need to speak about publishing and be all professional anymore. Not that I was very professional all the time, but I had STANDARDS. Now I don't need those standards, and I'm not sure where to go.

Do I be all personal and blabby about my feelings?

Do I tell you what's going on in my life?

Do I say nothing?

Do I only do publishing news?

Do I do something new?

I have been contemplating wanting to write an epistolary story; I wonder if that would be an interesting thing to post on the blog? Would people stick around through it all?

I go back to school in the fall, and I'm not sure you want to read about me attempting college for a second time. Well, I'd like to note that I'm not attempting it; I have a perfectly good BA from Carnegie Mellon University, so I like to think I managed to conquer college the first time around. But I am trying to learn more Japanese, which requires going where the Japanese teachers are, and short of moving to Japan full-time (I'm still lobbying the husband, albeit unsuccessfully)... that's college. See, and here I am, babbling, and typing far more than I'm sure my doctor would like me to be doing. Do they make soft, slightly squishier keyboards?

I should be dictating, but my husband is asleep with a cold, and I don't want to wake him. Plus, Dragon drives me up a wall, and I need more RAM. I did manage to finish revising a story by speaking slowly, which is good. And now, I must stop typing because I'm starting to twinge in pain. Leave a comment, do.

3 comments:

Tara Maya said...

I get it. I started blogging thinking it would be like a diary, and then realized, no, it was more like a different kind of work of art. Both work, and art. And I'm also going back to school in... oy, like two weeks. Ach! How did summer end so quickly?

I wish you well in your attempts to go to Japan! I've heard its beautiful from a friend who studied there.

And I think they DO make soft, squishy keyboards, but I can't remember where I heard this....

Jess said...

Ouch--my husband is a computer software guy (that's as far as my definition goes), and he gets tendonitis too. Feel better, and good luck with going back to school!

Deb Salisbury said...

I have a similar problem with my blog. What to write?

I'd love to know more about publishing. Do you have any contacts to tell you the odd story? Names and details redacted, of course.