- The fastest we can ever get there is in 40 minutes, and that's if we take the NJ Turnpike, speed along it, and do it in the precise middle of the day when there is no traffic.
- Usually, it takes an hour to get there.
- In rush hour, coming home from my classes two days a week, it can take up to 80 minutes to get home.
- I can't drive at night. I'm night-blind; I'd be a hazard on the road to myself and many other drivers. There's a good chance I'd end up dead. It's a no-go for me.
- All of the good classes I want to take next semester are in the late afternoon/early evening.
- My mom, who has been very patient driving me this semester, has declared that she has had enough. She refuses to drive me more than two days a week next semester.
- The classes I want are four days a week.
- I am deeply troubled.
- I do not know how to solve this.
- We cannot afford to move closer to school, and since I'm non-matriculated, that'd be rather foolish.
- Before you ask, the closest bus to where I want to go is 25 minutes from my house.
- Also, the closest train to where I want to go is 32 minutes.
- Multiply those by 2 for whoever is ferrying me to said bus or train, as parking defeats the purpose of being driven at night--what the heck would I do to get home from said places, if I drove there in the day and came home when it's dark?
- I have no idea what a car service costs, but I know I can't afford it.
- I also can't afford to live in NYC with Chris and Zoe, even though that would be a straight shot commute, at least. It's an hour on the train, but it's a TRAIN and I wouldn't need to be driven anywhere.
- I repeat, I'm deeply troubled by all of this, and rather pissed.
- Chris points out that since Rutgers has a substantial proportion of its students commuting, it is structured to have more night and late afternoon classes. This is all well and good, but it doesn't help me with getting there.
- I actually like classes at that time of day because I'm a natural night owl.
- I can't help the fact that I was born congenitally myopic and night-blind.
- I'll stop now because 20 points makes a post.
Friday, October 29, 2010
The Perils of Being a Commuter
I'd like to sincerely declare that I'm sort of fed up with commuting so far to school everyday, for the following reasons: