Sunday, July 05, 2015

Sourdough Starter, Day One

This is what happens when you let your almost-four year old name your sourdough starter: it becomes known as Twinklestar the Sourdough Starter.

As Twinklestar will now be a permanent blog feature, at least while I attempt to use it, we will all be forced to live with it.  Enjoy the sparkly My Little Pony inspired goodness. =)

Anyway, this comes about because I had a $25 Barnes & Noble gift card burning a hole in my pocket (thank you, mother-in-law!), and I found this fabulous cookbook there: THE LAROUSSE BOOK OF BREAD.

It's written by Eric Kayser, whose bakery my husband I ate at it in Paris back in 2013... where we literally had the best baguette we'd ever had in our lives.  How could I not try such a book?

Unfortunately, or fortunately as it may be, almost all of his recipes call for a liquid sourdough starter to be mixed into the bread dough as leavening. So, Twinklestar it is.  Let us begin in a pictorial manner!

Day One
Start with rye flour, water, and honey.  You want the water to be room temperature. As you can see by the first picture, I've opted to use spring water, since it's a more easily controlled source. Distilled would probably be ideal.

First, measure out 50 g of the rye flour.

Then, add 50 g of the room temperature water to the rye flour.

Mix to combine.

Then, add 5 g (or 3/4 tsp) of the honey to the starter mixture.

Mix some more.

Finally, cover loosely (my bowl lid isn't secured), and place in a warm place to continue to ferment for 24 hours.

As a small caveat, if your starter curdles in this first 24 hours, throw it out and begin again.

We shall pick back up with this tomorrow!   

No comments: