Thursday, December 03, 2015

Freelance Editing Rates

*dusts off shingle*

This is the official post to state that I am available for work as a freelance editor. I have five years of experience as a literary agent, so I aim to offer an edit that is concerned with both the quality of the writing and the marketability of the book.  I also hold a BA in Creative Writing from Carnegie Mellon University.

I'm currently taking limited clients on for the next few months. My specialties are science fiction, fantasy, and romance.  I am available to edit either novella or novel length projects.

I offer the following services:

Structural Editing
This is similar to a manuscript critique, but much more detailed.  You will receive a long letter addressing issues within your work such as plot, pacing, voice, structure, marketability, etc.  I may make drastic suggestions, such as combining two characters, or introducing a completely different plot element. My aim is to make your project the best story that it can be.
My rate for this is 1 cent per word, based on Microsoft Word 2013 word count.

Line Editing
This type of edit is much more concerned with the actual language of your project.  I will go through it on a sentence by sentence basis, correcting your prose on a detailed level. My aim with this edit is to improve the grammar and readability of your prose, so that you can present the most polished project possible.  This is done using Track Changes in Microsoft Word--your manuscript will come back with many corrections in red.
My rate for this is 2 cents per word, based on Microsoft Word 2013 word count.  If we have previously worked together on a structural edit for the same project, this service is available at 1.5 cents per word.

Query Letters
If you want to submit your project to a literary agent or publisher, I can draft a compelling query letter for you.  My experience as a literary agent has given me a fine eye for the type of pitch letter that will catch an agent's attention, and get you a request for a partial or full manuscript submission.
My rate for this is a flat fee of $100, if we have previously worked together on a structural edit for the same project.

I can be contacted by e-mail at to book any of these services.


No comments: